[Ansible-service-broker] Deprovision default behaviour

Philip Gough pgough at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 21:30:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have had some over and back discussion with the owners of the service
broker over IRC and on this pull request
<https://github.com/openshift/ansible-service-broker/pull/751> in relation
to issue #666
<https://github.com/openshift/ansible-service-broker/issues/666>. Ryan
suggested I open up this thread for discussion on how we will handle failed
deprovisions, whilst remaining compliant to the spec.

To summarise the conversation, the spec states that "When a Service Broker
receives a deprovision request from a Platform, it MUST delete any
resources it created during the provision." , my question to Ryan was what
happens in the case of a deprovision when the playbook is broken and it
fails early.

This leaves potentially many kubernetes resources orphaned within a
namespace. Since we don't track this particular resources, we then have no
way to delete them later.

The linked pr sets a flag to overwrite the current behaviour, which is spec
compliant with regards to return codes as is. We are wondering what people
think the default behaviour should be and what could be done with these
untracked resources when a playbook fails.

Regards