[Ansible-service-broker] Deployment Templates Backwards Compatibility

Shawn Hurley shurley at redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 20:37:24 UTC 2018

Maybe I don’t really understand this that well.

I thought the issue has always been that

1. We have other scripts/deployment methods that rely on the deployment-template: https://github.com/openshift/ansible-service-broker/blob/master/templates/deploy-ansible-service-broker.template.yaml <https://github.com/openshift/ansible-service-broker/blob/master/templates/deploy-ansible-service-broker.template.yaml>
2. this means when you update that template and change something the script is expecting/not expecting to do then a bunch of people have issues deploying the broker.

What I was hoping is that it should be assumed that if you create a script and point to the master branch of the deployment template that this will change and we will not make changes to the deployment template to support that script.
then we should have deployment-templates for either each sprint, git commit tagged, that set a specific broker image based on the sprint tag that people who want to know their script will always work in the similar way. This deployment template should also use the sprint tag for the APBs so we now that will also work. This is what the run_latest_build.sh should point to IMO. Catasb appears to already have the ability to determine with template you want to use, so we should just make sure that this is documented and we can default to master branch deployment template.

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 3:27 PM, Erik Nelson <ernelson at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Tag every deployment template to use a specific version of the broker.
>
> Do we have an official support list? I'm concerned with one and only
> template, and I don't think we should be supporting much else:

I am confused by official support list sorry, can you explain more?

> https://github.com/openshift/ansible-service-broker/blob/master/templates/deploy-ansible-service-broker.template.yaml
>
>> 4. Need help to understand what mini shift should do, @erik would the combination of branch and image tag be enough?
>
> I have the minishift addon to pull this from github, pegged to a tag.
> It's hard set to our latest release, and requires manual updates.
> It's an explicit desire to have this pegged, but easy to update as we move.

So minishift already behaves as I have described above except the deployment template  that it points to does not specify a specific version of the broker and APBs to use?