software raid boot failure

Sam Azer sam at bnt.ca
Thu Jul 12 03:18:13 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if somebody can point me in the right direction:

A problem occurs very early in the boot process on a Fedora 7 system: mdadm
can't find the devices needed to assemble /dev/md1 which contains an LVM
volume group. The specific problem appears to be the "mdadm: no devices
found," which is followed by a few related problems and ends with a Kernel
Panic:

Red Hat nash 6.0.9 starting
insmod: error inserting '/lib/raid456.ko': -1 File exists
mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md1
   Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
   No volume groups found
   Volume group "vg0" not found
Unable to access resume device (/dev/vg0/lv0)

(The system used to work fine even though the raid456.ko message always
appeared.)

The system was working fine up to last night when I think the temperature
rose too high and it crashed. The funny thing is that if I boot the F7 DVD
in rescue mode the system image is discovered and mounted without any
trouble.

I may have messed things up at some point by booting the F7 rescue mode and
executing

# grub-install /dev/sda1

when I should have used

# grub-install /dev/sda

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could point me to some documentation on
this stage of the boot process (mounting raid/lvm file systems.)

I'd also appreciate any help understanding why mdadm can't figure out what
devices to use for an array - there must be a way to fix that. The way the
system is now, I need to create an mdadm.conf file before the --assemble
command will work (isn't mdadm supposed to be able to figure out what
devices to use without the conf file?) Perhaps there's a solution hiding in
that direction.

Thanks very much,
All the best,
Sam.