[augeas-devel] Relicensing under the LGPLv3

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroed at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 02:36:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM, David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 17:18 -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM, David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > I am thinking about relicensing Augeas under the LGPLv3, one of the
>> > reasons being that I want to use at least one gnulib module
>> > (canonicalize_file_name) that is only available under the LGPLv3.
>> >
>> > As far as I understand the matter, there should be little impact on the
>> > users of Augeas, in particular what can be linked against libaugeas, but
>> > IANAL, and I'd like to hear from others before I take that step.
>>
>> Can you get away with 2.1+ instead of 3?
>
> No, the gnulib module I am interested in (and a bunch of others) are
> under LGPLv3, so I couldn't use it in LGPLv2.1+ code.
>
> What is your concern with LGPLv3 ? (That's mostly why I started the
> thread, to find out what concerns it raises)

*GPL3 are less compatible than gplv2.1+. Perhaps some library or project
that would have used your code before will not if it is *gpl3. Since augeas
intends to be as portable and used everywhere possible... you should think
about that. It will inhibit adoption in gplv2 only projects.

It doesn't affect anything from my POV other than those concerns.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com