Iptables and Logins at boot-up

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat Oct 9 18:12:47 UTC 2004

You can have one login (the first tty I believe) set up for autologin if
you use mingetty instead of getty--I don't remember what RH uses. You
would have to change the instances of whatever is being used if it's not
mingetty in /etc/inittab and of course install mingetty if it's not
installed. then for your first tty, you would have your entry for tty1
read:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty  --noclear --autologin jboyer tty1
Siubstitute whatever your username is. Notice that you take out the 38400
that "getty" uses; of course these instructions aren't necessary if
mingetty is being used by default already. Also realize that you can't do
serial console logins with mingetty as far as I know.

Why do you need two users logged in? If it's for fetching mail, you can
fetch mail for both users from a .fetchmailrc in either user's home
directory, except that then you'd have to sort them into separate email
boxes with Pine or procmail or mutt somehow.
Or you can have a system-wide configuration for fetchmail so that emails
are delivered to the appropriate users; that configuration would be
started at boot I believe rather than at login. But maybe you have a
different purpose.

--
Cheryl