backing up my linux system

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 18 14:09:37 UTC 2007

I do almost exactly the same thing for backups. I have 2 hard drives in my
linux machine so I backup one to the other.

One of the slick things about it is that I have a Windows machine and so
does my wife. We keep our important files on the linux machine and access
them via samba. Then I backup our files to the other hard drive in the linux
machine in tar.gz format. Now, here is the really slick part: Winzip can
open and read tar.gz files. So if my wife needs to do a restore, she just
has to double click on the tar.gz file, find the file she wants to restore,
and double click on it.

I actually backup everything in her space everyday. It takes a heckuva lot
of disk space though.  I don't back up everything in my space. Plus, if
you're a more sophisticated user, you could just backup changed files. Tar
will do that. But I just backup everything in her space every day so that
she won't have to poke around looking for a file.