speech output

Neil Foster neil.foster2007 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 10:23:34 UTC 2008

There are obviously problems with a hardware speech synth but you can run it
with any os eg. freedos or evne old version fo windows if you need it for
any reason eg. you can't get at hardware such as cmos settings in win xp you
need to do it in linux or an older version of windows such as 98., put it on
other computers etc it doesn't ned a ton of drivers loaded to get it goign
just chuck the text out the serial port which is dead simple to do. You can
boot of a floppy which are stil very useful. YOu can't boot of a usb peen
and I still do work on pc's that don't have usbor evne cd-rom. Also if you
need to work on a pc that you dont' know the sound card on your knackerd
with software speech synthesis. The only thing you can do in that
situationis to write a probe of somesort to investigate the hardware find
out the soundcard and modprobe the drivers. also the hardware speech synth
doesn't take a ton nd harlf of memory and processing speed.

I don't quite see the point in usign a graphical interface I'm blind and
graphical interfaces are for the sighted loonies who seem to think that you
can program a computer with pictures instead of algorithms, and logic, I
didn't see the point in the things when I was  sighted and dont' see the
point tin in the things now.

They are slow cumbersome inefficinet diffuicult to program, reduce
productivity of the user bloody stupid idea takes a business man like bill
gates to popularise the thigs, that said I have to admit that things like
file selection lists can be useful. you can do better pipign stdout into vim
or whatever and dpassing through filters to genrate commadns to do what you
want. The gui is a bloody daft idea.

Ta

Neil Foster