[Cluster-devel] [GFS2] Speed up lock_dlm's locking (move sprintf)

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 11:17:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 09:31 -0500, David Teigland wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 05:04:15PM +0000, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The following patch speeds up lock_dlm's locking by moving the sprintf
> > out from the lock acquisition path and into the lock creation path. This
> > reduces the amount of CPU time used in acquiring locks by a fair amount,
>
> and adds 26 bytes to each lock.  Ack, fine with me.

Yes, thats not ideal, but a price well worth paying for the extra
performance I think. There are plenty of other ways we might try and
shrink down the memory used for each lock in the future though.

> (I've wanted to quit using string names but I've been lazy and still have
> a number of printf's on the names in the dlm)
>
> Dave

I think we've gone past the stage where the format needs to be set in
stone to avoid future incompatibility problems. I think we need to treat
this like the on-disk format in terms of changes,

Steve.