[Cluster-devel] [RFC] Killing ccs for good

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 14:34:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 09:33:17AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> a few months ago David tickled me with the idea of killing ccs, so I started
> poking around for fun here and there and I think that I am at a point where
> we can start looking at the work it has been done so far.
>
> What does killing ccs buy us?
>
> - remove of another daemon from the stack with everything that comes with it
>   (less code to handle, less open ports on the network, less stuff to
> synchronize, etc.)
> - the option to design a new more useful API.
> - add your reason here.

Getting rid of the artificial separation between cman and ccs was
definately one of the motivations.  The other big one was to separate
basic cluster.conf queries from the remote update/syncing mechanisms.
I'd like to see a completely new (and simple!) method of updating/syncing
cluster.conf files around the cluster, that's completely separate from the
code that supports cluster.conf queries.

> We tested the overall with simple configurations and everything seems to
> work so far.
>
> What we would like to do next:

> - move the config handler to its own openais service. This will be totally
> transparent to the applications and we will rework most of the internal bits
> to use the aisexec db.

I think we should get this last bit done before investing too much time in
the apps... just in case this transition to openais involves more change
than we anticipate.

Thanks for tackling all this, it's looking great.
Dave