[Cluster-devel] fence-agents integration with Cobbler

Marek "marx" Grac mgrac at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 09:13:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 10/23/2014 08:56 PM, Alan Evangelista wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm a Cobbler developer. Cobbler uses fence-agents to perform power
> management in systems
> and it currently supports fence-agents 4.0.4. I want to make Cobbler
> compatible with
> latest fence-agents code. Cobbler may run in RHEL 6+ and thus we
> expect fence-agents
> to also do it. I'm doing tests with the lpar fence agent.
>
> First, I found out the master branch requires Python 2.7. Using master
> code in a RHEL 6.5
> threw an exception in the creation of a StreamHandler object (stream
> argument name in StreamHandler
> constructor changed from Python 2.6, available on RHEL 6, to Python
> 2.7, available on RHEL 7).
Yes, this is known issue but we did not focus on that yet. Currently,
there is just small difference between RHEL5 and RHEL6 but in the RHEL7
massive rewritement was done. There is (currently dead) branch fence39
(version 3.9.x) that should follow master branch (version 4.0.x) but
with all backward compatibility required for stable releases like RHEL6.

> Then, I found out that there is a RHEL6 branch and tried to use it.
> However, some fence
> agents (eg lpar) uses different input parameters names in RHEL6 and
> master branches.
> This would force me to check RHEL version before generating fence
> agents input in Cobbler.
I understand that this is problem but currently the names of options are
much more standardized.

> Would it be possible to either
>
> (1) backport input parameters names changes to RHEL6 branch? afaik
> input parameters names are independent of RHEL version.
     input = parameters from STDIN?
> (2) support Python 2.6 in master branch
     I will investigate this

m,