[Cluster-devel] gfs2-utils: mkfs segfault with 4.16 kernel

Andrew Price anprice at redhat.com
Fri May 4 13:01:31 UTC 2018

On 04/05/18 13:01, Valentin Vidic wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 12:07:01PM +0100, Andrew Price wrote:
>> Hm curious. I *can* reproduce the same segfaults but only if I build with
>> the 4.15 header and then rebuild with the 4.16 header *without* first
>> running ./configure. If I run ./configure the problem resolves itself.
>
> Thanks, I removed all traces of 4.15 from the system, did a clean
> checkout of the repo and master does not segfault anymore :)

Ok good, we're on the same page :)

> I will try to fix 3.1.10 now...

I suspect you'll find the problem in gfs2/libgfs2/ondisk.h where
gfs2_rgrp_{in,out} copies the reserved data fields. As the field is
smaller in the new gfs2_ondisk.h, the copies could write past the end of
the struct into subsequent fields of the containing structure (the
rgrp_tree). We should probably use sizeof() there. Same with
gfs2_rindex_{in,out}.

Andy