[Cluster-devel] [RFC v6 04/10] iomap: Add iomap_get_folio helper

Matthew Wilcox willy at infradead.org
Tue Jan 10 13:34:16 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 12:46:45AM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 01:46:42PM +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > We can handle that by adding a new IOMAP_NOCREATE iterator flag and
> > checking for that in iomap_get_folio().  Your patch then turns into
> > the below.
>
> Exactly.  And as I already pointed out in reply to Dave's original
> patch what we really should be doing is returning an ERR_PTR from
> __filemap_get_folio instead of reverse-engineering the expected
> error code.

Ouch, we have a nasty problem.

If somebody passes FGP_ENTRY, we can return a shadow entry.  And the
encodings for shadow entries overlap with the encodings for ERR_PTR,
meaning that some shadow entries will look like errors.  The way I
solved this in the XArray code is by shifting the error values by
two bits and encoding errors as XA_ERROR(-ENOMEM) (for example).

I don't _object_ to introducing XA_ERROR() / xa_err() into the VFS,
but so far we haven't, and I'd like to make that decision intentionally.