[Crash-utility] Question for ARM developers/users w/respect to makedumpfile

Mika Westerberg mika.westerberg at iki.fi
Fri Feb 1 21:37:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:55:43AM -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:

> [...]

We did use compressed kdumps back at Nokia and it worked pretty well. The
problem is that I don't have any of those dumps available anymore.

That being said, I do have ARM board where I think I can try to make such
image but it takes some time to setup. If you like, I can try and make the
resulting kdump image available to you.

It is really needed at least on future ARM platforms. We did use it at Nokia
and it saved lots of unnecessary disk/network space to preprocess it using
makedumpfile.

> (2) It's only required for "crash --osrelease dumpfile" and
>     the new "crash --log dumpfile" command line options, and
>     the workaround I'm putting in place works with these older
>     malformed headers.
> (3) Atsushi Kumagai, the upstream makedumpfile maintainer,
>     is on this list and is aware of it,
> (4) Eventually one of the ARM developers will probably look
>     into it...

It is important and we should definitely make sure it is available for ARM
developers. However, I'm working for Intel now so I don't have suitable
development environment handy. If Jan, Per or Thomas doesn't have anything,
I'll setup my old ARM (ep93xx board) and make a suitable compressed dump.