[Crash-utility] How to fire crash command from extension directly

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 14:50:29 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> Hi,
>
> I have written crash extension(shared-object) for dumping few data structures from crash. I want to trigger
> standard crash command e.g. "bt", from crash extension itself. Can anyone please help me
> out, how can it be achieved ? I am using APIs exported by crash  header file defs.h
>
> Your valuable suggestions would be helpful for me.
>

> Thanks in advance.
> Vivek Satpute

Calling a crash command from within another command is not supported.

You *may* be able to get away with calling a "cmd_xxx()" function,
depending upon how the global optind and optarg values, and
the global argcnt and args[] array have been manipulated by your
extension command.

The better option is to call the worker functions that the cmd_xxx()
functions utilize -- if that's possible.  In the case of "bt" you
could call the exported back_trace() function, similar to the
way that the "foreach" command does it in foreach() function.