[Devtools] Recommended Vagrant & Virtualbox versions

Alexey Kazakov alkazako at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 17:09:51 UTC 2016

Thank you!

This topic was moved from the cdk internal list where we now have a
parallel discussion.
Let me try to summarize both discussions here.

1. Vagrant 1.7.4 is recommended because 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 has some issues.
2. Virtualbox 5.0.* were used during Beta testing and seemed to work
perfectly. So, the latest 5.0.* version can be recommended.

If that is correct then IMO we should:

1. If user has nothing installed on his/her machine then our CDK + JBDS
windows installer should download & install vagrant 1.7.4 & virtualbox
5.0.16 (the latest currently available version).
2. If user has vagrant 1.8.* installed then warm him/her that
1.8.0/1.8.1 has critical issues and 1.7.4 is strongly recommended.
3. If user has vagrant <= 1.7.3 then warn that version was not tested
and 1.7.4 is recommended.
4. If user has virtualbox 5.0.* then no warnings. Just re-use it by default.
5. If user has virtualbox < 5.0 or 5.1 or higher then warn that version
was not tested and the "bundled" 5.0.16 is recommended.

Does it look reasonable to you?