[Devtools] CDK fails under QEMU. Have we seen this one before?

Rick Wagner rwagner at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 14:01:17 UTC 2016

Hello DevTools SMEs,

We have a customer with a failing CDK installation.  They appear (we are
asking for validation) to be running RHEL 7.2 under QEMU.

When they try 'vagrant up', they get the following:
"Error while creating domain: Error saving the server: Call to
virDomainDefineXML failed: invalid argument: could not find capabilities
for domaintype=kvm"

Google suggests this error is telling us kvm isn't recognized as a
supported feature of the guest o/s.  (There are a couple of suggested
workarounds, with mixed results.)

Before we start poking at it in the customer's environment, we'd like to
ask if we have encountered this before ourselves (and if we have a known
good remedy).

Any hard-won experiences to share?

Thanks,

Rick