[Devtools] Hawkular Metrics

Hardy Ferentschik hferents at redhat.com
Fri May 6 08:11:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

> Looks like a lot of work, not sure when I can get to it :-)

The Hawkular part is not so hard. I use Hawkular in the demos I give to
show autoscaling. I am using this script (https://github.com/hferentschik/container-demos/blob/master/openshift/metrics.sh)
to install metrics on the CDK. ssh onto the VM and execute this script and all should be
ready to go. You will need to restart OpenShift though, since the script updates master-config.xml to
add the 'metricPublicURL'. Also, it will take a while until all required pods are running.

You can login as admin via oc and view the project 'openshift-infra'. There you will see when
all pods are ready.

> Anyone every try this with CDK?

See above :-) My experience is mixed. It seems to work a bit flaky and the UI in the OpenShift console
keeps showing a warning dialog. Also, sometimes metrics don't seem to be available at all. Not sure
whether this is a UI thing only, since autoscaling does work once Hawkular is enabled. It might also
be that the problem lies in the fact that the CDK VM is just running out of memory.

My next project is to actually add Cockpit into the mix. I've seen some demo video and it looked nice,
but for some reason there were not instructions on how to enable Cockpit in combination with OpenShift.
This thread seems to offer some hints :-) I'll let you know once I tried it.

--Hardy