[Devtools] CDK 2.4 and Minishift CDK uses lots of CPU

Hardy Ferentschik hferents at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 21:19:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

> Well the cool kids like James Strachan and Kamesh Sampath are telling me
> that xhyve is super awesome and I would be better looking, thinner and 10
> years younger if I just tried it :-)

LOL. I wonder why it is supposedly cool. It is known to misbehave and it does
not even have a management console, leaving me sometimes wildly guessing on
what's going on. At least VirtualBox and Hyper-V offer me some way to
inspect/manage virtual machines.

I've heard xhyve is performs better. Personally I have not tests this nor
seen any numbers. Given that I prefer a more stable environment over one
which might or might not perform a bit better, I stick to VirtualBox for now.

That might help in some cases - https://minishift.io/docs/troubleshooting.html#xhyve-driver

> CDK 2.2+ uses more CPU than before - I stuck with CDK 2.1 until Jan 2017
> for demos :-)

I would love to know why, but trying to find the problem with CDK 2.2+ seems pointless.
I'd rather see us working out how you can give the same presentation using
Minishift with a decent performance.

If we could get you to use Minishift and you tell us that it performs ways worse
than CDK 2.1, we will for sure look into it.

--Hardy