[Devtools] must solve this minishift IP problem

Burr Sutter bsutter at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 16:07:45 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:59 PM Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 8:03 PM, Gerard Braad <gbraad at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Only after the first/initial start After this the address is fixed and
>> will be applied to the VM on start.
>> It writes a configuration file into the persistent storage of the VM
>> and this is read on start every time.
>>

> Hi Burr,
>
> I have a question for you.  When we implemented  "--set-static" feature we
> had the question around whether --set-static should be part of "minishift
> start" or "minishift ip".  There were arguments for both the sides. This
> was one of the reason we kept this feature as experimental. When a feature
> is experimental we look for user feedback and then we can make changes
> without keeping backward compatibility.
>
> As Gerard mentioned we need existing Minishift instance to run minishift
> ip --set-static  and you just need to run it once during the first start.
>
> If you run it without the instance then you will get below error
>
> $ minishift ip --set-static
> Error getting IP: Docker machine "minishift" does not exist. Use
> "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a
> new one.
>
> We have an issue [1] to improve the error message, but it is clear that it
> needs a running instance.
>
> Now my question is, what you think would be a better user experience
> "minishift start --set-static" or "minishift ip --set-static" or something
> else.

I like the proposal of using the config “setstaticip” that gets applied
after start.

Also, one big gotcha is that subsequent minishift starts on NEW VMs will go
able to .100, which might “overlay” a previously created VM.  This gives
you an error in the new Vm and the old one.  This just happened to me as I
am scrambling to get the demo up for customers today.