[Devtools] racing toward the next round of presentations

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 06:57:15 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Gerard Braad <gbraad at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Burr,
>

> About monthly we try to sync up with them and exchange issues we share and
> discuss possible solutions.
> We try to align with Minikube feature-wise, but at the moment we have no
> bandwidth to handle porting changes back.
> Portability between our implementations is not the biggest problem, as
> long as you can guarantee an application deploys on both kubernetes and
> openshift in the same way.

If we put effort into this, would you be able to show a demo that we could
> use as a base line for this attempt?
> It would also help if you create an issue for us to discuss and track
> progress and issues along the way.
> Especially as it allows us to refer to issues/and questions at Minikube's
> end too.
>

> Gerard
>
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:22 AM Burr Sutter <bsutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I saw about 200 users this week, but they were primarily "real customers"
>> since it was organized by our sales team - aka high quality "leads".
>>
>> Next, the first whole week of August, my guess is that we will see
>> another 200 to 300 "real customers" (sales team organized) but I also have
>> about 400 off-the-street folks (organized by O'rielly Safari [1]).
>>
>> This later batch of people need me to be much more "kubernetes upstream
>> friendly", so I have a few questions along those lines.
>>
>> Which version of Minikube matches Minishift?

I just check Minikube 0.28.2 and if we compare major features Minishift vs
Minikube, Minishift has all the features of Minikube and some more. However
there is difference in the way these features are implemented.

> https://github.com/kubernetes/minikube/releases
>> https://github.com/minishift/minishift/releases
>> Is there an easy way (or documented way) to match these up?

We never documented this. Personally I feel Minikube is not maintained
properly and some of its features are half baked. Do you need an
comparative writeup?