[Devtools] racing toward the next round of presentations

Burr Sutter bsutter at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 14:11:45 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Burr Sutter <bsutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 2:57 AM Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If we put effort into this, would you be able to show a demo that we

>>> I just check Minikube 0.28.2 and if we compare major features Minishift
>>> vs Minikube, Minishift has all the features of Minikube and some more.
>>> However there is difference in the way these features are implemented.
>>>

>> I started working with minikube 0.28.1 - I wanted Kubernetes 1.10 and
>> guessed it might be the right one
>>
>> I have now also seen a feature mismatch - like "minikube profile list"
>> and "minikube profile set myprofile" does not seem to work.
>>

> Because Minikube has some half baked features. If we want to have same
> features implemented in Minikube then it wont be copy pasting code but we
> need to spend considerable amount of work  for this. They do not share the
> same code base now.
>
> Question: When you use Minikube and Minishift do you feel they are equally
> polished or one is better than the other?

I find them to be fairly equal except for:
- minikube start up is a LOT faster
- minikube profiles are not worth using
- not sure what the equivalent of "oc project" is in "kubectl" - what
namespace am I in?
- minishift addon enable admin-user is unique

otherwise, they feel basically the same so far.  I have not yet completed
my demo scripts, perhaps I will run across something else that feels
different.
the first "demo script" (or lab) is about done here:
https://github.com/burrsutter/9stepsawesome/blob/master/1_installation_ready.adoc