[Devtools] minishift in singapore

Praveen Kumar prkumar at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 07:59:20 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 1:16 PM, Burr Sutter <bsutter at redhat.com> wrote:
> I think there may be an issue with using minishift in SG.  SG has some
> "special" networking issues as there is essentially a "great firewall of
> singapore".
>
> How is the total download volume (in MBs) that we can expect from a
> minishift?
>
> minishift v1.16.1+d9a86c9
>
> Here are my commands (from bit.ly/istio-tutorial)
> minishift profile set istio-tutorial
> minishift config set memory 8GB
> minishift config set cpus 3
> minishift config set vm-driver virtualbox ## or kvm, for Fedora
> minishift config set image-caching true
> minishift addon enable admin-user
> minishift start
>
> ----------
> Tried it 5 times today and it "freezes" at various places like:
> Pulling image openshift/origin:v3.9.0
> Pulled 1/4 layers, 26% complete
> Pulled 1/4 layers, 42% complete
> Pulled 1/4 layers, 59% complete
> Pulled 2/4 layers, 74% complete
> Pulled 3/4 layers, 89% complete
>
> ---
> or
>
> Downloading OpenShift binary 'oc' version 'v3.9.0'
>
>  1.61 MiB / 40.58 MiB
> [===>---------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 3.97% 17m36s

Looks like GitHub and docker hub connectivity issue instead minishift
per se, can you try to download the `oc` binary on your host and see
if the speed any better?

Another hack way of doing is following (now if any image export
command fails then you again start and docker should resume it without
any issue)

```
$ export MINISHIFT_ENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL=y
$ minishift start --no-provision => this will only start the VM and do nothing.

$ minishift image export openshift/origin:v3.9.0
$ minishift image export openshift/origin-web-console:v3.9.0
$ minishift image export openshift/origin-docker-registry:v3.9.0
..etc.
```

Once images are cached you can delete that non-provisioned VM and
start fresh with image-cache enabled. I am not sure if
minishift-1.16.1 have `no-provision` flag but `1.18.0` have.

--
Praveen Kumar
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kumarpraveen