[dm-devel] Is there a way to see updated contents of a DM target's underlying device while the DM target is in use?

Riches Jr, RobertX M robertx.m.riches.jr at intel.com
Wed Jun 30 23:53:23 UTC 2010

Thank you for the wise council to carefully check my code.  I certainly intend to do that.

However, I am able to reproduce the symptom using the standard dm-linear module supplied with the x86_64 kernel that comes with Ubuntu Karmic.  With the attached script, the first 'od' on /dev/vg1/lv1, done before 'dmsetup remove', shows the first part of the file contains 0x00.  A second 'od' after 'dmsetup remove' shows the file contains random data.

I didn't see any queues or caches in dm-linear that would need to be flushed.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert Riches
Azad Consultant at Intel