[dm-devel] Huge memory allocation

Eli Malul eli.malul at kaminario.com
Thu Mar 3 08:05:46 UTC 2011

I am expecting to have lots of (up to million) scattered extents across
some volumes which I am required to mirror.
Since mirror mapped device with a table that large consume unbearable
amount of memory (e.g. for 10,000 extents I saw about 6 Giga of memory
allocated by the device-mapper) I am going to create two linear devices
which maps these extents and mirror them.

In addition, I am required to preserve the original extent's offsets
since they are an existing user data used by DB applications.
To achieve that I will create another linear device to simulate the
original extent's offsets which shall be mapped to the created mirrored
device so, the client will continue to read and write the same offsets.