[edk2-devel] Debugging aarch64 edk2 built with gcc-8.x 64-bit arm compiler

Vladimir Olovyannikov via Groups.Io vladimir.olovyannikov=broadcom.com at groups.io
Fri Dec 6 23:50:47 UTC 2019

Hi Ard,

We are about to switch to the latest Yocto. It is shipped with gcc-8.3
aarch64-linux-gnu compiler.

We use DS5 for bare metal debugging.

When I build edk2 with gcc-7-x/gcc-8.x, DS5 complains on DWARF format.
I tried to explicitly set it to DWARF2, but still cannot even get the stack
or local variables (even though DS5 does not complain),
even for edk2 NOOPT build.

Using gcc-6.3 from Linaro, I don’t see any issue with DS5 debugging.

Am I missing any steps?

Build is done with GCC5_AARCH64_PREFIX=aarch64-linux-gnu

Another question: it seems that the DS5 scripts limit the path size with
255 chars. With a source built by Yocto, it can easily be more than that.

Attempt to add symbols for such modules ends up with error message in the
DS5 command window that it could not add those symbols.

Is there a procedure to increase the path length limit?

Thank you,
Vladimir

View/Reply Online (#52020): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/52020
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io