[edk2-devel] [Patch v3 00/22] Enable Phase 1 of EDK II CI

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 1 22:39:59 UTC 2019

Hi Mike,

On 11/01/19 06:03, Kinney, Michael D wrote:
> Hi Laszlo,

> Note for all reviewers:
> Pull requests against edk2-staging/edk2-ci are not
> being processed right now.  We are working on some
> configuration changes after noticing that all the
> checks were not being shown on the Web UI.  We will
> let you know when it is back up.
>
> Yes.  You need to create a fork of the tianocore/edk2-staging repo.
>
> You can do this with the WebUI or the hub command line utility.
>
> * https://github.com/github/hub
> * https://github.com/github/hub/releases
> * https://hub.github.com/hub.1.html
>
> The hub command also supports creating a pull request.
> I have used it extensively to write some unit tests
> for edk2-ci this week.
>
> Once you create a branch with changes to submit in your
> own fork of tianocore/edk2-staging the WebUI will show
> that this pull request is possible and guide you through
> it.
>
> The use of edk2-staging/edk2-ci is only for the review
> and unit testing.  Once the review is approved, it will
> be enabled on edk2/master and you will be able to use
> your own fork of edk2 to make branches and submit pull
> requests.

* For now, I submitted a pull request using the WebUi.

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-staging/pull/87

I can see the processing is paused at the moment, as you state above.

* When I submitted PR#87, there had been no conflicts; the PR was simply
blocked on the CI tasks. Now, there are conflicts (I assume due to
intervening pushes, while my PR#87 was blocked). It's useful that the
WebUI points out this change in the status of the PR (i.e., "now
conflicting" vs. "no conflicts just waiting for CI"). However, this
status change has not been emailed to me.

When this occurs to a PR (for example due to an intervening PR that is
merged), what happens to the pre-empted PR? Does it remain suspended
forever? How does the submitter learn about it?

* Regarding my question (b) below, the answer is "I can't". I cannot
submit a PR against tianocore/edk2-staging.git with reference to
lersek/edk2.git, given that the latter is a not a "github-level fork" of
the former.

This is quite regrettable, but once the CI system is in production, it
will be OK in practice (I will only submit PRs against tianocore/edk2.git).

* I've explored the "hub" command a bit. (This relates to my question
(a); thanks for your suggestion.)

On the positive side, it is packaged in EPEL7, therefore I could readily
install it on my RHEL7 laptop, from a distribution-level package.

On the negative side, I quickly noticed two issues with "hub". I went
looking in the "hub" issue tracker, and to my relief, others had
reported the same problems before me (so I only commented on, and
subscribed to, the reports):

https://github.com/github/hub/issues/2338#issuecomment-548952413
https://github.com/github/hub/issues/2222#issuecomment-548967446

Issue#2338 is more technically challenging, but in practice (once CI is
enabled for edk2 itself), it's not really going to affect me.

Issue#2222 should be easy to solve, technically speaking, but until it's
solved, I find it quite disappointing.

Thanks!
Laszlo

View/Reply Online (#49874): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/49874