[edk2-devel] EDK II Maintainers please test the pull request commit gate

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 17:12:17 UTC 2019

Hi Mike,

On 11/07/19 20:26, Michael D Kinney wrote:
> Laszlo,
>
> The hub command line utility also shows an option to
> create a fork without using the GitHub UI.  But since I
> already have all the relevant forks I needed, I have not
> tried this feature yet.

sorry, I was unclear with my "fork on github.com" adjustment.

I didn't mean that people were required to use the github *UI* for the
fork operation.

Instead, I meant that the data store inside <github.com> had to learn
about the "fork relationship" between the tianocore/edk2-staging repo,
and the <MaintainerAccount>/edk2-staging repo.

Because, in my vocabulary, if I enter my local *edk2* clone, and run the
following commands:

$ git remote add -f --no-tags staging \
    https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-staging.git
$ git checkout -b ci-test-1 staging/edk2-ci
$ [modify files]
$ git add ...
$ git commit
$ git push lersek-edk2 ci-test-1

then I *have* forked the edk2-staging repo. It's because now I'm
exposing a public topic branch that is the derivative of the
edk2-staging/edk2-ci branch.

But, this is not what the test procedure requires. The test procedure
requires each maintainer to tell github explicitly, "I am now forking
edk2-staging under my account, the way github (re)defines 'forking'".
That's *not* what "forking" means in base git terminology, in my
opinion, regardless of whether a maintainer implements the github kind
of forking on the github WebUI, or with the "hub" command line utility.

In brief, I wanted to say, "what github (the service) calls a fork is
quite a bit more restrictive than what base git calls a fork, so please
let's clearly require the github kind in the instructions".

View/Reply Online (#50310): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/50310
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io