[edk2-devel] Seeking feedback: example of building OvmfPkg with Pytools

Bob Feng via Groups.Io bob.c.feng=intel.com at groups.io
Fri Nov 29 02:50:36 UTC 2019

Hi Jeremiah,

I have some questions for this change.
1. Will there be a PlatformBuild.py in any platform as your design? For example there will be a PlatformBuild.py in MdeModulePkg, EmulatorPkg and etc. And this PlatformBuild.py can be seen as a template?
2. The original build options can be set either from PlatformBuild.py CommonPlatform class or set from command line, is it right?
3. There is another build scripts edk2-platforms\Platform\Intel\build_bios.py for build Min-Platforms. Can PlatformBuild.py work together with it?
4. Dose the pytools support clang on windows?
5. I tried this patch on my local machines, but build failed with pytools and your change.
1) One windows machine only installed VS2015,  vswhere can't detect VS2015.
2) Another windows machine installed VS2015 and VS2017, vswhere can find VS2017, but build failed with the messages
    build.py...
INFO -  : error 7000: Failed to execute command
INFO -  Vc\bin\nmake.exe

3) I have a Ubuntu 18.04 machine, build failed at the step of "stuart_update -c OvmfPkg/PlatformBuild.py" with the error messages:
    File "/home/bobfeng/PythonVenv1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/edk2toolext/environment/extdeptypes/nuget_dependency.py", line 180, in fetch
    if self._fetch_from_cache(package_name):
  File "/home/bobfeng/PythonVenv1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/edk2toolext/environment/extdeptypes/nuget_dependency.py", line 113, in _fetch_from_cache
    if not os.path.isdir(NugetDependency.global_cache_path):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/genericpath.py", line 42, in isdir
    st = os.stat(s)

Thanks,
Bob