[edk2-devel] License Check - was OvmfPkg: Adding support for bhyve as OvmfPkg/Bhyve

Leif Lindholm leif at nuviainc.com
Fri Jul 3 10:37:57 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 01:40:26 +0000, Gao, Liming wrote:

> > > Mainly because that was the easiest thing to do :)
>
> People may miss it. So, the checker is helpful to detect the issue.

The feature is useful, but enabling it by default is not the correct
decision for all TianoCore repos, and the situation for non-bsd+patent
contributions is less than ideal.

> > > But also because:
> > > - The thread that spawned this also raised the problem of
> > >    machine-generated files.
>
> This is a gap. We have no rule for the generated file.
>
> > > - I am somewhat unhappy the checker got merged in the first place
> > >    without wider community feedback. BaseTools and its contents are
> > >    used for many repositories (even within TianoCore), and this added
> > >    unconditional check breaks the use for some of those.
> > >
> The patch to add the license checker is reviewed in edk2 mail list
> for several weeks.
> I don't get other comments. Can you give the suggestion on how to
> improve the communication in edk2 community?

I think that for something as fundamental as this, we need to actively
chase feedback. I know that I will never manage to always read all
emails to the lists, so there is always a risk I will miss something
I'm not cc:d on.
For something with as big an impact as a tightening of requirements in
PatchCheck.py, if sufficient feedback (like at least 2-3 maintainers
outside of BaseTools) has not been received, then it would make sense
to ping *all* maintainers, alternatively ping the stewards and ask us
to go gather feedback.

> Besides, there is another new checker of ECC to check coding style
> for each patch. Can you give your comment?
> https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/61966

I have never managed to get ECC running in any of my setups.
Perhaps I should start trying to track down why, or at least raise a
bugzilla for someone else to investigate.

Regards,

Leif

View/Reply Online (#62017): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/62017
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io