[edk2-devel] Disabling safe string constraint assertions

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 13:14:53 UTC 2020

On 03/11/20 14:09, Vitaly Cheptsov wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> So, I believe that by now we mostly agreed to let the original
> proposition land as a short-term solution. We end up with:
>
> 1. A PCD condition within SAFE_STRING_COSTRAINT_CHECK macro.
> 2. Make this condition evaluate to TRUE by default (i.e. ASSERT).
> 3. Update documentation for BaseLib functions to include the information
> about this behaviour.
>
> The only thing in question is whether this should be a separate PCD or
> an extra bit in PcdDebugPropertyMask. I believe that we almost agreed on
> two things:
>
> 1. Adding an extra bit to PcdDebugPropertyMask is cleaner.
> 2. Extending DebugLib interface with a new function is not a good idea.
>
> Therefore I suggest:
>
> 1.Add #define DEBUG_PROPERTY_ASSERT_CONSTRAINT_ENABLED 0x40.
> 2. Create header-only macros to replace functions like
> DebugAssertEnabled. We can then use these macros in new code and
> deprecate the original functions.
> 3. Enable DEBUG_PROPERTY_ASSERT_CONSTRAINT_ENABLED bit in MdePkg by default.
>
> I will submit the new version of the patch soon unless there is an
> immediate opposing opinion.

Not sure about any particular deprecation timeline, but to me the above
certainly sounds worth submitting for review.

(NB I don't plan to review in detail -- I just meant to comment on the
design, since I was asked to.)

Thanks!

View/Reply Online (#55752): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/55752
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io