[edk2-devel] github PRs keep breaking for me

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 17:27:52 UTC 2020

On 03/12/20 22:57, Kinney, Michael D wrote:
> Laszlo,
>
> I understand your frustration.  Let's work on resolving
> these issues.

I apologize for allowing my irritation to "leak out" to the list. It was
unprofessional. I was overworked / exhausted, sorry.

> What browser are you using?  I would like the reproduce
> that issue and report to GitHub.

I'm using an older ESR release of Firefox. It's out of support even by
Mozilla (and github.com had been warning me for a while that they no
longer supported this version either). I'll send you the exact version
number later.

I refuse to upgrade my main workhorse Firefox browser to a more recent
version, because:

- more recent versions have a very annoying UI glitch (for example when
I use Right-Click to pull up the local / context menu, the first menu
item appears immediately under the mouse pointer, and as soon as I
release the right mouse button, the first entry in the context menu gets
activated at once. I basically can't just right click to pull up the
context menu, I have to "press, move left, release")

- my favorite extensions work no longer

- I only visit trusted sites.

I do have a fresh Firefox release installed too, with a separate
profile. It suffers from the above two issues (UI glitch, broken
extensions), but when I absolutely must interact with a website that
rejects my normal browser, this is what I use. That's how I managed to
merge the branch in question ultimately.

> Do you a screen shot where the labels button is not visibe?

I've tried to reproduce the issue right now, but I can't.

The symptom was the following (yesterday, when it failed):
- I clicked the "labels" gear
- a small dialog / widget appeared with some kind of flashing /
pulsating animation (likely fetching the list of possible labels?)
- yesterday, the github UI got stuck there -- pulsating animation, no
labels. However, when I tried the same with the recent Firefox release,
I got the labels (i.e., just the push label, which is the only one we
offer) at once.
- today I got the label offered after a very brief moment with the
pulsating animation even in my old ("normal") browser.

I could chalk the problem from yesterday up to a networking glitch, but
then I don't understand why it wouldn't work (yesterday) for multiple
attemtps / page reloads even, while (basically in parallel) it worked
with the new Firefox release at once.

Anyway -- I can't reproduce this any longer.

> Did you use the same branch name or a new branch name with
> the same set of commits?  When I do a 2nd PR for the same
> content, I use a new branch name.

I tried the same branch name (with the same commits) multiple times
(delete / push again / ...).

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/pull/441

Then I decided to change both the commit hashes (I reworded a single
commit twice, forward and back), and the branch name. That worked. So I
didn't test either change (changed commit hash vs. differently named
branch) in isolation.

> The hub command is very flexible.  What commands did you try?

I checked the manual / command line help.

- The "hub pr" command provides listing and local fetch / checkout. So
it didn't apply to my case.

- The "hub pull-request" command is documented as "Create a GitHub Pull
Request", and indeed when I invoked it just to get a command line help,
it complained that it couldn't find a local git repository (I didn't
invoke it in my local edk2 clone). I only wanted to manage an existent
PR (apply a label), so a local repo was unnecessary, and I gave up.

$ hub pull-request
fatal: Not a git repository

(Admittedly, if I pass "--help", it does give me help, regardless of my
current working directory.)

> I want to root cause this issue.  I suspect it is more related
> to Mergify than GitHub or Azure Pipelines.  There is a state
> machine that is watching statuses and the sequence of actions
> you are using must be going into a state I did not test.
> Are you able to provide the sequences of steps that got the
> PR into a bad state and the approximate time between steps?

So ultimately what keeps confusing me is why the "reopen pull request"
button disappeared. When I look at #441, it's still not there.

Anyway, my steps were:

(1) push branch to my edk2 clone on github, with a local "git push" command

(2) from the remote's output in my terminal, copy & paste the "open pull
request for the branch you just pushed" github.com URL, into a new
browser window's URL bar

(3) I logged in, using my permanent password, and then the OTP. May have
taken 10-15 seconds.

(4) in the PR dialog, I pasted the blurb subject into the title field,
and copied a bugzilla URL and two mailing list URLs into the PR
description field. I also unchecked the "maintainer edits" checkbox.
This was likely the lengthiest part, because I had to collect and verify
the URLs I was pasting. I guess it may have taken 30-60 seconds. Then I
clicked "create PR".

(5) Once the list of CI steps appeared, I hunted down the labels gear at
once (I can never set the label before the PR actually exists -- I had
reported this before). But, the label didn't appear in the labels box
(see above).

(6) I raced to open the PR's URL in my "other" (more recent) browser, to
set the push label before CI would complete. It may have taken 10
seconds or so -- but I was late, because the patches were very small and
only for OVMF, so CI basically didn't have to rebuild anything. The PR
had been closed as a "successful personal build" by the time I got there
in the "recent" browser.

(7) this is when I started fiddling with the branch (deletion / pushing
again), after waiting for a while. And no matter what I did: while
github reported the deletion and restoration (in fact: re-pushing) of
the same branch, it wouldn't reopen the PR, and/or restart CI. So the
"push" label (set from my other browser meanwhile) didn't make a
difference. And I couldn't manually reopen the same PR.

View/Reply Online (#55848): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/55848
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io