[edk2-devel] Disabling safe string constraint assertions

Vitaly Cheptsov cheptsov at ispras.ru
Wed Mar 18 21:31:31 UTC 2020

Mike,

That explains the current behaviour, but makes me even more confused.

I do not really understand how DEC format is responsible for this. Libraries, described with INF files, consume PCDs and potentially override their values. DEC files produce PCDs, which libraries or modules (drivers, appications) can consume. Header-only libraries have no INF files, and thus are not really libraries one can depend on, and thus can have no PCDs. I cannot make a connection of how a library consuming a PCD could influence on a DEC file.

BaseTools' AutoGen implements DependentLibraryList and LibraryPcdList properties, which effectively gather all library PCDs for a module. So they already have all the information about the PCDs used and needed to be added to AutoGen.c and AutoGen.h.

I expected them to add library PCD definitions to AutoGen.h for modules, but for some reason it does not happen. They also explicitly skip PCD dependency walk for libraries, which I assumed to be some questionable performance optimisation before I realised that they are not exposed for the former case as well.

It is very possible that I miss something, but to me it looks like the fact that we cannot see library PCDs in modules and higher level libraries is just an artificial limitation, which should be possible to lift with reasonably few changes in BaseTools for a person that is well aware of their codebase. Could you give a better insight on this or perhaps ask somebody who knows BaseTools internals?

If you believe it is much worse than I see, I can just trust you for the time being and focus on implementing an alternative approach by separating a common DebugCommonLib.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Vitaly

View/Reply Online (#55966): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/55966