[edk2-devel] Where to put the bhyve code in the edk2 repo: BhyvePkg, or under OvmfPkg?

Sean spbrogan at outlook.com
Thu May 14 17:48:47 UTC 2020

I really don't agree with this direction.

Adding another platform to a core repository that might or might not
work at any given time is a burden to all core contributors and doesn't
bring value to the core project.

The direction I would like to see is a new repo created at
github.com/tianocore/Bhyve_Platform.git

Then this platform can use a submodule for edk2.  It can stay stable
because the submodule will point to edk2 at the last time the bhyve
maintainers "integrated" edk2.  If the maintainer wants to be very
active they can do this daily or at each commit or if they have other
priorities they can do it at each stable tag.

If we as a community get our stuff together then we can build out CI
infrastructure for Bhyve that could provide PR feedback to indicates if
the PR proposed change will break the bhyve platform.  This feedback can
then be used by reviewers to decide to approve or request more PR changes.

The above workflow then scales nicely to other platforms and gives
control to the platform maintainers.  This also makes it clear the
different steps that are needed to integrate an edk2 revision into a
platform and provides great insight into derivative projects.  Finally,
this workflow allows a platform to scale up and down it's investment and
relevancy to the edk2 project without directly changing edk2 source.

I hope offering a different viewpoint isn't viewed as me "continuing to
stand on the sidelines shouting "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG"."

:)

Thanks
Sean

View/Reply Online (#59581): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/59581