[edk2-devel] Basetools as a pip module

Andrew Fish via groups.io afish=apple.com at groups.io
Thu Sep 3 02:14:44 UTC 2020

Matthew,

I did not meant to imply we should optimize for the current installed base, I just think it is useful to think about them. I think Lazlo is pointing out what is best for the project and that should have more weight than the installed base, but it is always good to think how things impact different groups.

In terms of the UI I was thinking of pointing to the pip install location vs. your git repo not so much a boolean. I actually don’t quite understand what EDK_TOOL_PATH actually means if BaseTools is a pip module. If that is an obsolete concept then we should remove it, and replace with some kind of statement that the pip installed BaseTools are being used. Another question if I run build from the command line how did my path get set? For example my user account has 5 different versions of edk2 in it how do I configure different versions of BaseTools? How do I pip multiple versions on to my system? I guess my repo could have a yml file that points to the version of the tools that I use, but that seems like a per user, not per repo config? It seems to me we could have developers that want to contribute to edk2 and work on their own code base and that could rehire two different Basetool versions installed on the system, and I think we need a story for that.

For the macOS Xcode compiler you can install as many versions as you want and there is a command line tool to let you set the current version of Xcode, and to show you the currently select versions. Basically the tools in the magic location in your path are just redirectors to the currently selected tools.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

View/Reply Online (#64991): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/64991
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io