[EXTERNAL] [edk2-devel] ECC: Won't somebody PLEASE think of the... test structures.

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 18:16:04 UTC 2020

On 09/26/20 04:52, Andrew Fish via groups.io wrote:
> Bret,
>
> Details aside this ECC issue got me thinking it might be useful to some how tag code that follows different, subsetted, or alternate rules, or uses different build environments. I was kind of thinking of doing something like how we tag the licenses in the header comments [1]. I would say nothing means edk2 rules. I can see vendors maybe having different internal rules, or us wanting to distinguish test code from production code. The general idea if we start this tools can be smarter and that seems like a good thing.
>
>  This is just a wild idea, so I’d like to see what other people think?

Concerning header files that help edk2 interface with other systems --
although it's more work, I prefer re-coding those header files manually
(even better: coding them afresh from published specs!), over importing
(otherwise license-compatible) headers from other projects. In my
experience, this sustains a very "native" look & feel to edk2, plus it's
an awesome incentive for programmers to add the structs and macros that
are *really* needed for the upcoming drivers / applications.

Thanks!

View/Reply Online (#65688): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/65688
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io