[edk2-devel] RFC: Adding support for ARM (RNDR etc.) to RngDxe

Ard Biesheuvel ardb at kernel.org
Thu Feb 11 18:26:25 UTC 2021

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 23:49, Rebecca Cran <rebecca at nuviainc.com> wrote:

> On 1/15/21 7:51 PM, Sami Mujawar wrote:
>
> > I have shared some initial thoughts on the RNG implementation updates at https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/files/Designs/2021/0116/EDKII%20-%20Proposed%20update%20to%20RNG%20implementation.pdf
> >
> > Kindly let me know your feedback or if you have any queries.
> The ARMv8.5 RNDRRS instruction appears to be missing from the diagram on
> page 11 - it has RngLib|RNDR, which is listed under PRNG, but RNDRRS
> returns a true random number. From the Arm ARM:
>
> "Returns a 64-bit random number which is reseeded from the True
> Random Number source immediately before the read of the random number."

This is an unfortunate oversight in the architecture, but RNDRRS most
certainly does not return a true random number.

RNDR and RNDRRS both return the output of a DRBG (pseudo RNG), and the
only difference is the reseed rate: RNDRRS triggers a reseed on every
invocation, whereas RNDR triggers a reseed at an IMPDEF rate.

View/Reply Online (#71619): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/71619
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io