[edk2-devel] [edk2-discuss] Google Summer of Code Interested Student

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Fri Mar 12 18:51:09 UTC 2021

On 03/12/21 06:45, Desimone, Nathaniel L wrote:

> Now, here is the second bug. That BIOS setup menu page that OVMF has
> for configuring the serial port has a field for setting the terminal
> type. But, changing the value in that field doesn't actually change
> the configuration data that is sent to the terminal driver. So the
> terminal driver always ends up using PC_ANSI mode even if the user
> changes that setting. This isn’t a bug in the terminal driver really,
> it’s a bug in OVMF's setup menu implementation. But it does create
> the appearance of a problem in the terminal driver and should be
> fixed as part of this GSoC project. This should be fixed in both he
> OVMF implementation and the MinPlatform implementation.

It's a shortcoming of OVMF's PlatformBootManagerLib.

A solution would be nice where, if a (non-volatile) terminal type
setting existed, that would take effect, but if no such setting existed,
then we'd still automatically add the serial port(s) -- with some
default terminal type -- to the console I/O variables.

ArmVirtQemu's PlatformBootManagerLib works somewhat differently (see the
build-time feature test macro TTY_TERMINAL). I'm not up-to-date on
whether that PlatformBootManagerLib instance handles the Setup TUI-based
terminal type setting correctly.

As far as I can remember, the terminal type has always been hard-coded
in OVMF like this -- I believe it's not a regression (old or recent). I
guess I haven't seen a good PlatformBootManagerLib example on this topic.

View/Reply Online (#72721): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/72721
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io