[edk2-devel] Applying for GSoC 2022: Add Rust Support to EDK II

Pedro Falcato pedro.falcato at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:15:28 UTC 2022

Hi Ayush!

I had a decent look at your proposal, and I have some questions (note that
you can always re-submit proposals until April 19th):

1) How are you planning to reconcile the cargo build system with EDK2's
build system?

2) If you go ahead with cargo, will the new Rust code require a lot of tiny
crates? I'm personally not very enthusiastic about having lots of
dependencies all over the place,
especially somewhere Tianocore doesn't control. I've seen Rust crates that
were integrated into an operating system (
https://fuchsia.googlesource.com/fuchsia/+/refs/heads/main/third_party/rust_crates/
),
where they essentially maintain their own versions of the crate, with the
"proper" build system that the project uses.

3) How much of std are you going to implement? Note that traditionally,
EDK2, like a lot of this firmware/kernel/bootloader code, doesn't actually
implement much of the standard library (and that's the reasoning behind
edk2-libc).

4) Do you have any idea of what DXE driver you're going to implement? Do
you have any experience writing drivers?

5) Any plans for generation of C <-> Rust bindings? Does
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust-bindgen work out of the box?

Best regards,
Pedro

--