[edk2-devel] EFI shell with microvm

Boeuf, Sebastien sebastien.boeuf at intel.com
Fri Jan 7 13:06:57 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-01-07 at 13:07 +0100, kraxel at redhat.com wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> > > microvm has no lpc bridge, so I had to do it in a different way
> >
> > Cloud Hypervisor doesn't emulate any LPC bridge or ISA bus.
>
> Ok, doing it microvm-style makes sense then.

Ok thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully it won't conflict with what
QEMU uses/needs.

> > > Works fine for me.
> > >
> > > qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -machine microvm,rtc=on -bios
> > > Build/MicrovmX64/DEBUG_GCC5/FV/MICROVM.fd
> >
> > Thanks for the confirmation, something might be wrong with the
> > interrupt used for my serial device.
>
> tianocore doesn't use interrupts (other than timer).

Yes I realized that by diving into the code. I can see microvm using
the Xen timer while OvmfPkgX64 uses 8254 PIT.

> > Cloud Hypervisor only has an IOAPIC, it doesn't rely on any PIC,
> > which
> > is why I'm not sure what might be missing to get the EFI shell to
> > receive the interrupts.
>
> PIC is optional for microvm too, and everything works fine for me
> with
> "-machine microvm,rtc=on,pic=off,pit=off"

Yes that's interesting and after some investigations I think the
problem is that I don't get TerminalConInTimerHandler handler to be
triggered. I can see the handler is correctly registered but for some
reasons, it's never used. I'm wondering if that might be an issue
related to a lack of timer support. Especially I see the UEFI service
SetTimer() is being used for the polling mechanism, so I wonder what is
the backend for it.

> take care,
>   Gerd

92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number:  302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros

View/Reply Online (#85325): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/85325
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io