[edk2-devel] How to prevent a DXE driver from loading automatically

King Sumo kingsumos at gmail.com
Mon May 16 21:49:44 UTC 2022

Hi All,

I'm including EFI drivers for an Intel Network card, but this adds a huge
delay in the system startup when the ports are being initialized (the
server has several slots). The network cards will be used only for PXE boot
during the staging/setup process, so I'm thinking of adding a configurable
option to enable/disable the PXE boot. So only if enabled the drivers will
be loaded, and after the staging the PXE can be disabled via BMC or
something else.

Do we have any way to prevent a driver from being loaded automatically?
Such as using some conditions or dependencies? For instance, if some driver
is not loaded or some protocol isn't available?

One option will be setting the EFI files as RAW or FREEFORM so they will
not be recognized as a DRIVER during the DXE phase. But it will be required
to implement the driver loading, I'm not sure how difficult it will be
(maybe using GetSectionFromAnyFv to load the contents to a buffer, but how
to load it?).

Kind Regards,
Sumo

View/Reply Online (#89781): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/89781