[edk2-devel] [Patch V3 0/8] Create page table by CpuPageTableLib in DxeIpl

Ard Biesheuvel ardb at kernel.org
Mon Apr 24 18:07:19 UTC 2023

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 at 19:51, Kinney, Michael D
<michael.d.kinney at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Ard,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  Let's work on this approach.
>
> Are there similar needs for CPU related services in the DXE Core before
> the CPU AP is loaded?
>
> If we are going to define a new lib class to abstract DXE IPL requirements,
> it would be good to cover DXE Core requirements too.

Yeah, excellent point.

The problem I have had to work around in my strict permissions series
(which includes the linked patch) is that there is a window from the
moment DXE core is dispatched until the moment the CPU arch protocol
DXE driver is dispatched where we don't have an architectural means to
manipulate memory permissions.

So what we'd need here is a library version of the following method

typedef
EFI_STATUS
(EFIAPI *EFI_CPU_SET_MEMORY_ATTRIBUTES)(
  IN EFI_CPU_ARCH_PROTOCOL              *This,
  IN  EFI_PHYSICAL_ADDRESS              BaseAddress,
  IN  UINT64                            Length,
  IN  UINT64                            Attributes
  );

*However*, I am aware that the X86 DXE IPL code deviates from this, as
it needs to build long mode compatible page tables before switching
from IA32 to X64, right?
So whether that use case can be served with this prototype is
doubtful, but I guess it /would/ make sense to define a single library
abstraction that can accommodate all of these use cases.

Happy to discuss this in more detail,

View/Reply Online (#103493): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/103493
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io