[edk2-devel] About EDK2 supports Self Modifying Code

Andrew Fish via groups.io afish=apple.com at groups.io
Tue Aug 15 04:57:01 UTC 2023

We also support Xcode clang so that means we also support Mach-O executables that get converted to PE/COFF. The is a tool called mtoc (mach-o to coff) in a crufty old open source project that does the conversion.

The reason you are having issues is due to security hardening as the self modifying code is a security risk. It is kind of hard to imagine a case in UEFI that the self modifying code is worth the security risk?. I know Linux does some patching but those are really hot paths that get used a lot, I don’t see that being a pattern that would be common in firmware. The only case I can think you might want SMC is if you were trying to make an UEFI based stress test of some kind?

It might be helpful if you could explain why you can’t use a dispatch table or just define a UEFI Protocol and construct it on the fly to meet your configuration? To me saying you need Self Modifying Code is kind of like saying you need to write it in assembler since the C compiler is not smart enough, and most of the times people think that they are wrong.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

View/Reply Online (#107760): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/107760
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io