[edk2-devel] BUG: tianocore does not honor the bootorder

Gregory Lee Bartholomew gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:44:40 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-02-20 at 08:10 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 10:23:22AM -0600, Gregory Lee Bartholomew wrote:

> > > ovmf orders the boot entries according to the qemu configuration
> > > (bootindex property for devices).  If you don't want that just remove
> > > all bootindex properties from your qemu command line.
> > >
> > > take care,
> > >   Gerd
> > >

> > I don't believe I've set a bootindex. Below is the script that I'm using to
> > start the qemu instances.
>
> OVMF shouldn't touch the order then.  It will still create entries for
> the devices it finds (on first boot).  If you add more entries and put
> them first (by setting BootOrder accordingly) OVMF should try booting
> these first.
>
> take care,
>   Gerd

It was my mistake. My qemu instance was referencing the wrong OVMF_VARS.fd.
Tiano was automatically booting the system from that "Misc Device" entry because
the installer-created entries were from an old run and were pointing to invalid
partition UUIDs. I personally think it would be less confusing if that sort of
automation were not done and instead a proper error were reported to the admin.
But I guess I understand why that is being done.

Sorry for the bogus bug report.

gb

View/Reply Online (#100371): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/100371
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io