[edk2-devel] MinPlatformPkg question

Isaac Oram isaac.w.oram at intel.com
Tue Jan 31 20:43:22 UTC 2023

Garrett,

Yeah, that was what I was trying to get at with "let's use what we have now and then make an incompatible V1.0".  I like the idea of alternates too.  I dislike punishing early adopters and I don't think alternatives hurt most of the envisioned use cases.
Maybe we should start a branch for proposing and staging concrete changes.

It isn't well polished, but if I summarize what we were going for, it looks something like this:

The key objectives for specifying FV are to:

  *   Enable developers to rapidly understand what is same and different between boards and platforms
  *   Enable binary reuse use cases (integration, test, security, update) at a larger scope than individual drivers.
  *   Leverage validation of binaries across targets

The potential key use cases for specified Firmware Volumes include:

  *   Auditing:  Develop tools that can decompose the defined portion of a UEFI firmware solution.
  *   Integration:  Binary FV containing common core elements (Stage III) can be well defined, with clear interfaces, dependencies, and functionality.
  *   Integration:  Binary FV containing silicon support can be well defined and more readily managed, integrated, and audited.
  *   Auditing:  Build tool extensions can produce cryptographic strength hashes of defined FV that should not be customized.
  *   Optimization:  Support tools that can intelligently optimize out unneeded components.
  *   Simplification:  By separating into a set of known FV, we can define and mature them such that ownership can be maintained by one entity.

Is there anything you would add or change for why the spec should specify FV?  What are interesting use cases you would like to see or prioritize?

Regards,
Isaac