[edk2-devel] OvmfPkg PlatformCI: Should iasl dependency be updated from 20190215.0.0 ?

Sean spbrogan at outlook.com
Wed May 3 19:50:34 UTC 2023

Rebecca,

I agree the iasl dependency for CI has not been managed consistently.
When all of the CI was setup we decided that iasl should be controlled
by the platform and thus EmulatorPkg, ArmVirt, and OVMF have their own
extdep.  This gives those platforms control to rev their version as
necessary for their platform.   We have found it very common in platform
development for platforms to have different required versions of iasl.exe.

For Core CI (meaning just package builds) we managed iasl in Basetools.
We decided that this would only need to be updated when newer features
were used by core components (not very often given the very little ASL
in edk2 tree).

As for the feed.  Yes they are inconsistent.   We were moving away from
a global nuget.org feed as it just didn't seem necessary to push to
nuget.org.  But now we are evaluating ways to move entirely away from
nuget.  Nuget.exe worked pretty well for Windows development and our
initial use cases but has definitely created a headache on Linux, MacOS
and other.  There really isn't a generic package management solution
that is supported cross platform that has free/high quality/secure
hosting.  If anyone has ideas please share.

So my suggestion is to hold off for a couple of weeks (unless something
is broken) and lets see if we can use web downloads from github
releases.  This should still allow consistency with tools, work cross
platform, and give the flexibility needed per platform.

Regarding the steps in that document.  In that example it doesn't call
out all the steps needed as that would just rehash the section before.
Instead it relies on a user having followed the generic steps in the
section above (How to Build With Stuart · tianocore/tianocore.github.io
Wiki
<https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/How-to-Build-With-Stuart#how-to-build-in-edk2-with-stuart>).
For example the user would need to have also done:  setup python virtual
env, install pypi dependencies, and clone source + submodules.

Thanks

Sean

View/Reply Online (#103918): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/103918
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io