[edk2-devel] managing memory attributes in PEI

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue May 23 08:05:06 UTC 2023

  Hi,

> >> Before we enabled SMM for OVMF, we had never really used IA32X64 OVMF --
> >> SMM-less ACPI S3 resume had just worked fine with X64-only OVMF. IA32X64
> >> only proved a great platform option to fall back to, when we realized
> >> that on X64 OVMF, ACPI S3 resume wouldn't just seamlessly extend to SMM.
> >
> > I don't quite understand. So, what's the conclusion of IA32X64 OVMF? Keep it? Remove it?
>
> As long as edk2 (core modules) will continue supporting IA32X64 firmware
> platforms, I think keeping OVMF IA32X64 is useful, minimally as a test
> bed for those core modules / PCDs / boot paths.

Agree.

I'll go switch downstream SMM-enabled builds from OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc to
OvmfPkgX64.dsc ASAP, so for virtualization use cases OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc
will not be needed any more.

But it indeed makes sense to keep OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc for testing and CI
purposes.  So the question what the future of OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc (and
OvmfPkgIa32.dsc) should be is is more a question of what the overall
edk2 plans for IA32 are.

take care,
  Gerd

View/Reply Online (#105159): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/105159