[edk2-devel] question about cxl device enumeration in pci bus driver

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Oct 26 09:49:28 UTC 2023

On 10/26/23 10:33, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 10:36:35AM +0800, Yoshinoya wrote:
>
>> CXL Host Bridge / Root Port / Switch / Device enumeration / HDM Config, maybe could be integrated into pci drivers stack.
>
> Point being?  Can or should the firmware do anything useful with
> the CXL hardware?  If so, what exactly and why?
>
> Current state of affairs is that the PCI stack does the usual PCI
> initialization (enumerate, assign resources to PCI bars) and leaves
> everything else to the OS.

(I don't know what "HDM Config" stands for.)

The only utility for driving CXL devices from the firmware could be, AFAICT:

- booting off of such a device (or at least "supporting OS boot" in some
manner)

- using such a device for UEFI console purposes

View/Reply Online (#110085): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/110085
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io