[et-mgmt-tools] Re: cobbler check question

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Dec 8 21:40:44 UTC 2006

Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>> Michael DeHaan wrote:

>>> I should add, namespacing files used by PXE by creating a
>>> subdirectory under /tftpboot is a really good idea, and I'll make
>>> that "cobbler sync" do that
>>> in the future.
>>>

>> Actually, I probably don't want to namespace files in /tftpboot after
>> all, now that I think about it.
>
> Would you please explain the term "namespacing files"? I do not
> understand
> that.
Making a "/cobbler" subdirectory under tftproot.

>> One reason for this is that most folks when setting up dhcpd.conf
>> assume pxelinux.0 is in tftproot, and probably wouldn't know to
>> change that -- it would break users already using the dhcp templating
>> features, for instance. Just dropping the bootloaders in "/" and
>> leaving everything else in the two image directories is enough to
>> keep from clobbering other uses of the tftp root.
>
> As I said in my previous message, a long time ago when I first setup
> pxe I
> configured dhcpd to look for pxelinux.0 in /pxe. I guess I am the
> exception. :-)
Righto, namely I do like the idea, though I don't want to break all of
the non-exceptions.

> Maybe cobbler should check dhcpd.conf to be sure what is the correct
> place for
> pxelinux.0? Then again if the dhcp server is not on the cobbler
> machine that
> might not be possible.

Right.

Cobbler can generate dhcpd.conf too -- see the part about "manage_dhcp"
in the manpages, which is off by default (disclaimer: do backup your
existing copy before turning this on). In the case of IA64 support,
cobbler will write out system-specific configurations that use elilo.
Cobbler knows the right location for pxelinux.0, elilo's IA64 port, and
so forth -- and fills in the URLs for each system based on what they
need to PXE.

> Oh, well, for now I will ignore the warning. At least now, I
> understand what is
> happening.
Yes, it sounds like you're fine in this case. Cobbler check is there to
make a good guess as to whether your initial config is set up correctly,
and you're free to not run "check" at all if you like.