[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler 0.3.4-1 comments

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Thu Dec 21 20:40:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 12:13:08PM -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> >I do have a question about the implementation -- is there anything
> >that would prevent cobbler from running on, say, a Solaris system?  I
> >ask because I already have a fairly extensive host-management system
> >set up that runs on Solaris, and it would be reasonably
> >straight-forward to integrate cobbler into it so that a user could
> >say
> >
> ># need_shoes --system="text-name" --profile="profile-name"
> >
> >(ie need_shoes asks the cobbler for boots, or maybe you'd name it after
> >a shoe vendor or something... to beat a naming convention to death :)
> >
> >...and have that script dig the IP address and MAC out of NIS, doctor
> >dhcpd (if necessary -- I'm already doing much of that, which is why in
> >my past comments I was resistant to cobbler doing it as well), and
> >do the final "cobbler sync" automatically, making it a one-stop for
> >my administrators.
> >
> Cobbler's rather RHEL/Fedora/Centos centric at this point, and I really
> don't intend on changing that.  Namely it knows
> the job it needs to do and wants to do that job well.

I think perhaps I was unclear in my question -- I don't want it to
provision non-RH-family OSs (since we have spent fa-a-a-r too much
time getting the Solaris Kickstart to work reasonably); I merely want
it to run on a Solaris system because it will make access to things
like ethers, hostnames and IP addresses much easier, and I already
have a tftp server running on said Solaris system.  I was asking if
there is any dependancy in the code itself that would preclude it
running on Solaris.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |