[et-mgmt-tools] multiple connections in virt-manager first draft now on tip

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 16:43:59 UTC 2007

Hi all.

I have just committed the first cut at a UI for handling multiple
connections from a single manager window in virt-manager. Opening a new
connection with File->Open Connection... will now display that
connection and its guests (if any) in a tree layout in the manager
window. The "new" button is gone, in favor of a right-click option for
creating guests for a particular connection. If you click the
expand/collapse arrow to collapse a connection, virt-manager will avoid
polling that connection for resource updates until you expand the arrow
again (handy for avoiding excessive network traffic in the remote
connection case).

Things that still need to be dealt with:

1. I have temporarily disabled restoring guests from the UI. It's
necessary to specify a connection when restoring a guest, and this
brings up issues around how to choose that connection and the whole
guest checkpointing question.

2. There should really be a little "new" or "create" button on each
connection line along with the right-click menu.

3. We should store connection info in gconf rather than having them
vanish on disconnection. This way when you start virt-manager all your
connections would come up inactive, and actually connect only when you
activate them.

4. Creating a new guest still works only on local connections. Guest
creation for remote connections depends on resource discovery which we
still haven't worked out yet.

Please give the new UI a spin and let me know if you find anything
broken. In particular, I haven't tested it with remote connections,
although (aside from creating a guest) there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Enjoy,
--Hugh

--
Red Hat Virtualization Group http://redhat.com/virtualization